Hi there! It’s Mendi here today to share some organizational tips. I don’t know about you, but I love organizing my crafty stash almost as much as I enjoy shopping and playing with it.
Last summer I came to a point where I had accumulated so much that it was becoming hard to remember what I had and where I had put it, so I spent a week coming up with this new system. I have been using it for a year now and I have to gush about how much I love it! It has given me more time to create and to shop my supplies for just the right die or stamp to finish my project. I find that I am using my stash more and parting with the things I no longer need which is a win-win.
To start I painstakingly went through my product and searched the internet for photos of each stamp and die set I own. If I couldn’t find a photo then I tried to scan the item or packaging instead. I chose to organize them on my computer in folders by manufacturer which has also proven to be a handy way to search for items when I’m too lazy to get up and look in my binder.
I then printed my stamp sets out in wallet size (nine to a page) and put them in page protectors with dividers sorted by manufacturer. Sorting them by theme is also a wonderful way to go. For my binder, I tried my best to print out my sheets so that all my holiday stamps were grouped together on a page.
For larger stamp sets, I chose to print them four sets to a page. It has been wonderful flipping through my binder for the perfect sentiment stamp or just the right image to finish my project without having to wade through all my bins to see what will work.
For my dies, I used much of the same process, but I wanted to maximize my pages to cut down on bulk and the need for extra page protectors. I decided to open up an 8 1/2 x 11-inch project in photo-editing software and import the images. I then shrunk the images down and arranged them like a puzzle, fitting in as many as I could. I tried to keep them generally close to the same size that they are in real life or at least proportionate to each other, but I didn’t care if it was exact. I mostly wanted to have the visual reminder.
When everything was printed, it was time for me to add labels (like a library card catalog) to each die set so that I could quickly locate them on my shelf. Before this system, I would spend 15 minutes looking for a die since all my binders looked the same and it was impossible to label the entire contents on a tiny binder’s spine.
Using my Brother Label Maker, I added labels to the spines of my We R Memory Keeper Magnetic Binders. I gave each binder a code at the bottom to correspond with my binder. For example, Lawn Fawn dies were labeled LF-1 and when I had enough for a second binder it was labeled LF-2, etc.
Here’s a peek inside one of my magnetic binders. I have a couple different magnetic products to store my dies in, but this has remained my favorite. I love how well it keeps everything contained and how much I can fit into each 8 x 10-inch binder. My new system has made it super easy to grab the binder I need without wading through piles of dies and I love it!
I hope I’ve inspired you to organize your own stash this summer.
Supplies used: Binders from We R Memory Keepers; Premium Heavyweight Sheet Protectors from Avery; P-Touch Label Maker and TZe 6mm white strong adhesive laminate tape from Brother; stamps and dies from Lawn Fawn and Papertrey Ink.